All about Danhostel Haderslev
About the Hostel’s History
The history of the property on which Danhostel Haderslev sits stretches back to approximately 1660, but the land was occupied even prior to that date. Back then, the area was a farm in the middle of the old village called Erlev. Around 1742, the farm became a royal tenant farm, and it continued as such for many years.
From 1911 to 1976, there it was a children’s home called Erlev Orphanage, run by North Slesvigske Asylum.
Knud Ehlers, the school inspector, created the first youth hostel in 1937 at Hertug School. Former Headmaster, August Hansen’s apartment at the school was used.
From 1946, the hostel was temporarily housed at Lembckevej 2 in ‘Deutche Bücheri.’ At that time there was room for 36 overnight guests.
In 1976, Erlev Orphanage closed and Haderslev Hostel got the opportunity to move to its current location with the perfect setting for a modern hostel, and the place was named Erlevhus.
Even though the location underwent a thorough renovation when it was acquired, a year later it was necessary to expand the loft area in order to meet the demand for more beds.
Since then, there has been ongoing expansion and improvements. A new wing was added to the first floor of the main building in 1980, and in 2001, Erlevhus was again modernised. Bathrooms were added to the main building, plus construction of cabins and the camping grounds took place.
Today, Danhostel Haderslev is a modern hostel with room for 120 guests and offers many facilities and amenities, while at the same time retaining the atmosphere and the town’s heritage.
Book? Help? Questions?
Use our contact form
Write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us at +45 74 52 13 47